Breville BDC650BSS Grind Control Coffee Maker Review
Features and functionality of BREVILLE BDC650SS
If you are a connoisseur of coffee but are somewhat languorous, then BREVILLE BDC650SS is the coffee platform you are looking for. With a conversation on hold with your coffee partner, if making a cup takes up the bulk of your time then what the point is? An ideal homebrewer should be sturdy, simple to operate, affordable and yet not drab, and the BREVILLE BDC650SS is all that and perhaps more. In laymen’s terms, this state of the art machine has a built-in, adjustable grinder that satisfies your beverage demands without having to learn just the basics of coffee making or buying large and clumsy coffee makers with arduous brewing processes and duration. This coffee maker with its built-in grinder allows one to capture the freshness and essential oils from the coffee beans by grinding right before its brewing with its “Steep and Release” technology. Breville's Grind Control is the first household coffee maker with an adjustable grinder and calibration function that not only allows you to grind before you brew, you can also modify the size of the grind and coffee volume to suit your taste.
Design of Breville
Its design is somewhat futuristic, staying away from the minimalist designs of primary home brewers that serve the purpose of homebrewing and nothing else. In that, the plan is somehow a success. It is curved and shiny and metallic in its appearance, and that is what makes it a perfect fit for a kitchen of the future with its fancy gizmos. It comes with a removable drip tray that is only 7.5 inches long and allows one to keep travel mugs and large cups. Not only is this a great feature but also a blessing. Its futuristic design is complemented by its LCD panel delivering important information at every step of the brew cycle. So if one is a sucker for anything fancy, the LCD panel is going to charm its way into one’s kitchen. The LCD panel on the BREVILLE BDC650SS provides information on grind size, grinding time and brewing time. As far as its physical dimensions go, it’s a bit of the heftier side, just the proper amount of sturdy though. It measures 9*14*17 inches and weighs 16 pounds. So make sure that your ravenous appetite for coffee is duly rewarded by finding this beast of a machine a quaint little space.
Features of Breville coffee machine
1. Comes with precision machined stainless steel burns
2. Features “steep and release” technology.
3. Machine grinds and brews directly into the cup, travel mug or carafe.
4. Burr grinder allows six distinct settings to allow the user to get the optimal grind for a brew.
5. Eight strength settings- Choose from eight strength settings or choose Pre-Ground coffee option to brew coffee just the way you like it and bean hopper capacity is 1/2 pound of Coffee bean capacity with a locking system for easy removal, storage, and transfer.
Brewing Capacity: Single cup with variable size options or up to a twelve-cup carafe.
6. Dimensions: 9"(W) X 14"(D) X 16 & ¼" (H). 1/2 lb. of Coffee bean capacity with locking system
for easy removal, storage, and transfer.
7. Removable drip tray for 7.5” height clearance to fit tall cups and travel mugs, if Carafe overflows, always ensure the carafe is empty before brewing.
8 Programmable Auto-Start: Automatically starts grinding and then brewing coffee at your selected time; Pre-brew Temperature Control: Delivers water at the ideal temperature from a cold start.
9. Construction material: stainless steel.
10. Water capacity: 60 ounces.
How to Operate
Using the Breville BDC650BSS is easy breezy. Even if one is not conversant with the ways of reading a manual, he will be able to use it seamlessly. Firstly, pouring the coffee beans in the hopper at the back is necessary. Then, pour water in the carafe, select the number of cups to be made and hit the ignition. So, getting your brewing process started is three simple steps.
It has eight grind settings from which you can choose, so occasionally don’t be shocked if you are spoilt for choices. The bean hopper can accommodate ½ pound of coffee beans, and it is facilitated with a locking system, so removal of it becomes smooth and operation is not clumsy. On its best day, the Breville 650BSS can brew 1 to 12 cups of coffee in one brew cycle. Its programmable auto start enables coffee grinding as per settings. The temperature control allows the user to preheat the water from cold to the required temperature, even before the brewing process has started.
From the user manual of Breville BDC650BSS.
What are the Safeguards?
1. Fully unwind the cord before use.
2. To protect yourself from electric shocks, do not immerse the cable or any part of the machine in water or any immersive liquids.
3. Do not let the cord hang from any table or touch any hot surface.
4. Do not leave the machine unattended when it is switched on.
5. Children should be placed under adult supervision and should play with the device or any of its components.
6. This appliance is only meant for domestic use. It should not be placed on any mobile vehicle or boats or outdoors.
7. This appliance should be checked regularly. Do not use the device if the power cord or any part of the machine is broken or tampered with. Immediately call consumer service for quick resolution of the problem at hand.
8. As a word of caution, this appliance should be used with cold, filtered water. Demineralized or distilled water can cause an adverse effect on the taste of the coffee.
9. SHORT CORD INSTRUCTIONS- Your Breville appliance is fitted with a short power cord to reduce the risk of personal injury or property damage resulting from pulling, tripping or becoming entangled with a longer cable. Longer detachable power cords or extension cords are available and may be used if care is exercised. If an extension cord is used
(1) The marked electrical rating of the cord set or extension cord should be at least as excellent as the electrical rating of the appliance.
(2) The wire should be arranged so that it will not drape over the counter-top or table where it can be pulled on by children or tripped over unintentionally and
(3) the extension cord must include a 3-prong grounding plug.
NOTE: This appliance has a three wire grounded plug. To reduce the risk of electric shock, this plug will fit in a polarized outlet only one way. If the plug does not fit properly into the outlet, contact a qualified electrician. Do not use an adaptor or modify the plug in any way. Do not connect the appliance to an external switch or device (such as a timer, monitor or remote circuit) that can be switched on and off.
Instruction before first use
To get the most out of your Grind Control™ coffee brewer, we recommend using quality freshly roasted whole bean coffee & grind right before you brew. Coffee is at its peak flavor potential 5-20 days after roasting. Always buy coffee with a “Roasted On” date printed on the bag and avoid buying coffee with a “Best Before” or “Use By” date, as you never know when it was roasted. Coffee loses flavor and its aromatics once its ground, so grinding right before you brew is the key to great tasting coffee with superior flavor and aroma. Your Grind Control™ coffee brewer is the first drip coffee maker with an adjustable built-in grinder and calibration mode. The adjustable grinder features machined stainless steel burrs that allow you to adjust the coarseness or fineness to optimize flavor balance. The calibration mode allows you adjust the amount of coffee delivered on any strength/ cup size setting to suit coffee of varying grind size, origins, age and degree of roast, so you can achieve the maximum flavor potential from any coffee you choose. The Grind Control™ also allows you to brew a single cup or travel mug in “cup” mode or from 2 to 12 cups in “carafe” mode.
Unpack all parts and accessories before removing and safely discarding all packaging material and promotional labels. You should ensure the power cord is unplugged from the power outlet. Wipe the exterior stainless steel housing with a soft, damp cloth. Wash the bean hopper and lid, coffee basket, gold-tone filter and carafe in warm, soapy water and a soft cloth. Do not use abrasive cleansers, pads or materials which can scratch the surface. Rinse and dry thoroughly.
Setting up your Breville BDC650BSS
1. Install the Bean Hopper Position the hopper onto the machine. Turn the locking knob clockwise in the direction of the LOCK arrow until it clicks. Fill the hopper with fresh beans. We recommend always keeping the hopper full (0.5lb maximum) to ensure there are sufficient beans. However, never over-pack the hopper as this may result in the grinder jamming. Replace the hopper lid.
2. Plugging in the Power Cord Unwind the power cord completely and insert the power plug into a grounded 110-120V power outlet. The LCD screen will illuminate.
3. Install the Coffee Basket. For best results, we recommend pre-heating the coffee basket by running it under hot tap water. Dry the coffee basket thoroughly, taking particular care to dry the chute area completely. Line the coffee basket with either the provided gold tone filter or a paper filter.
Descaling and Cleaning of the coffee machine
Your coffee machine may experience build-up from calcium and minerals contained in your water. This ‘scale’ or mineral build-up will affect the machine’s performance and coffee quality. It is critical that scale build-up is removed. How often one de-scales will depend on the hardness of your water and the frequency of use. For best results, Breville recommends descaling once per month in soft water environments and more frequently in hard water environments.
CLEANING THE CARAFE
After each use, empty the carafe. Do not let brewed coffee stand overnight as this can cause the carafe to stain. Rinse the carafe and carafe lid under running water. For a deeper clean, we recommend regularly washing the carafe in warm, soapy water with a soft bristled brush (one can be purchased from Breville if you do not have a suitable one). Do not use abrasive cleansers, pads or cloths which can scratch the surface. Rinse and dry thoroughly
Summation of the market report
Though there is no shortage of home brewers, in a technologically blessed society yet the Breville BDC650BSS has been well received in the market. The aroma and the coffee that the machine produces speak volumes about the quality of the device itself. Half of the taste of the coffee is because of its superior grinding abilities. The tool is user-friendly, and that is probably that is why common folk have taken to it without questioning. To drink without the possibility of maiming your tongue is a blessing. The temperature control allows for a warm cup of magic without any collateral damage. There are, however, few issues that need to be addressed if the machine is to gain acceptance in all corners of society. The brewing process is a bit on the slower side, but the taste of the coffee compensates for it. It is also a bit expensive, but given the quality of the appliance, one would want to relinquish complaining about the price.
• Integrated Coffee Grinder- Yes
• Coffee Type Compatibility- coffee beans, ground coffee
• Color Stainless - steel
• Cup Capacity -12
• Coffee Bean Container Capacity - 8 oz
• Body Material - stainless steel
• Coffee Maker Accessories- cleaning brush, filter
• Manufacturer -Breville
DIMENSIONS & WEIGHT
• Width9.1 in
• Depth14.2 in
• Height16.9 in
SETTINGS, CONTROLS & INDICATORS
• Control Type- Electronic
• Type -LCD display
• Indicators -Yes
• Max Power Consumption -1100 Watt
• Voltage -110 - 120 V
• Brand -Breville
• Product Line Breville
• Model BDC650BSS The Grind Control